September 26, 2016
Before Joshua entered Jericho the commander of the Lord’s army (some say he was the appearance of God in human form) told Joshua that the enemy was already defeated!(Joshua 6:2) Christians also fight against a defeated enemy. Hebrews 2:14- 15 says by Jesus death he destroyed the devil and freed all whose lives were held in slavery. What an assurance! our enemy has been defeated, although we still fight battles every day we have the assurance that Satan has been defeated. So like a deer caught in the headlights we do not have to be paralyzed by the things this world throws at us. Because the one who is in us is greater than the’ defeated’ one who is in this world. Even though the Lord assured Joshua of victory he had to go through this strange military maneuver to ultimately claim Jericho(Joshua 6). Through this God was making it clear that the battle would depend upon him, and not upon the Israelites expertise. So in full assurance of our final outcome we face our battles everyday with the strength that comes from our communion with him- so in all these we are more than conquerors. So as I have said before with chins up and knees bended we face this world.
- Praise God for Steven and Patty’s friend, Micky, from Florida. She accepted Jesus into her life as Lord and Savior. We rejoice with heaven!
- Praise God for Curry Dinner turn out, another great evening, more people from the community as never before! Thanks for all the volunteers
- Please let Barbara Severy know if you need a workbook for ladies bible study starting October 4.
- Trip to Baltimore OCC contact Tony L
- OCC collection toothpaste, soap, hard candy and toys.
- Check our website at least once a week, Stan A does a great job keeping it fresh! www.middletownspringscommunitychurch.org
- Lets continue to pray for all the concerns in our body.
‘The most dangerous part of following Jesus tomorrow isn’t what you will lose between now and then, the worst thing that can happen is that tomorrow might never come’- NOT A FAN
September 19, 2016
When Jesus used the word ‘Daily’ Bread in the Lord’s prayer he used a word very unique, not found anywhere in classical or New Testament Greek. The emphasis is on the ‘daily’ reception of something that cannot be stored and that is prepared and dispensed daily- fresh and life giving. This is an appeal to live one day at a time and not to worry about the distant and unknown future. Jesus declared ‘I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never go thirsty'(John 6:31-34) The profound truth and spiritual implications of this prayer raises its prominence in our lives from an idle comment to an important petition confessed faithfully, daily. He is our ‘daily’ sustainer. If our communion with him is not daily we ourselves deprive us of something infinitely significant in our lives. Why starve us of something that is available and accessible to every believer?
· Thanks to our children and teachers who inspired us with their program on Sunday!
· Curry Dinner September 22nd, Invite friends, neighbors and strangers PLEASE NOTE THE TIME CHANCE, STARTS AT 5:30pm
· Men’s Group Tonight 6:30pm!
· OCC Travel plans contact Tony L
· OCC collection toothpaste, soap, hard candy and toys
‘When you go through a difficult time, who or what you are truly following is often revealed’ Not a Fan
September 12, 2016
My life seems tasteless and routine. I wonder. Who wants to follow Christ because of me? The command is certain ‘be my witness’ but we lack courage to step out and open our lives for others to see Christ in us. Every time I read the story of the woman from Samaria, I am struck by the ease of her invitation to experience Christ. If there was anyone in that community who felt disconnected and ostracized it was her. But she went back to her town and said “Come see”(John 4:29). Her words led many people to believe in Jesus. Our lives may seem bland, our imperfections may stand out to us but it is Christ we are showcasing. It is our transformed lives other notice in us through our love, joy and peace that they want to understand and emulate. The only invitation we need to extend is “come and see”. God’s Spirit will do the rest and who knows, like the women in Samaria, how many people in Middletown Springs, Rutland, Poultney, Pawlet, Danby, Manchester etc.. will come to know Jesus because of our invitation?’ Many of the Samaritans believed in Him because of the woman’s testimony’ (John 4:39)
This Saturday from 9 AM – 11Am at the church, all children are invited to a breakfast followed by practice for our Children’s Program this Sunday. We had announced 9 – 10:30, but we’d like a little more time.
Curry Dinner September 22nd, Invite friends, Neighbors and strangers
Ladies Bible Study, October 4th
Men’s Group next Monday September 19th 6:30pm
OCC collection toothpaste, soap, hard candy and toys
Summer camp info see Kim or Dale Carr
Jody has given Lynn Wilson’s (Memaws) address: Lynn Wilson, 1314 Spring Cress Lane, Taylor Lake Village, TX 77586
‘There is no comfortable way to carry a cross; I don’t care how you position it’ Not A Fan
Sometimes when we pray we try to convince God to agree to our demands, like a well studied attorney we plead our case for a favorable verdict. Our prayers may not be meant to persuade the Lord to see things our way, but rather aligning our life and our requests with what God’s will is. In Joshua 5:13-14 Joshua had a similar experience. Near Jericho he encountered a man with a drawn sword in his hand. Joshua went up to him and asked him, “Are you for us or for our enemies”. The man replied “Neither”. Meaning I am neither for you or your enemies, I am the Commander of the Lord’s army. Sometimes God has a greater purpose than our ‘selfish’ victories. Our job is to bow in reverence and awe to align our lives before His spirit’s desires. Ultimately the victory is His, which is indeed our victory today and eternity!
- Men’s ‘Not A Fan’ group will not meet today but WILL MEET Tuesday, September 6th @ 6:30 pm.(Tomorrow)
- 40 Days of life Rutland September 28-November 6 – a time of prayer and fellowship. Contact Peg Chase Booth
- September Curry Dinner on the 22nd, Thursday – Start inviting friends now!
- Christian camp for boys in the Adirondacks for next year http://deerfoot.prg for more information or Kim and Dale.
- OCC collection items, school supplies.
- Budget request forms for year 2017 are available at Jesus window please return by 9/13/16
“When is the last time that following Jesus cost you something? When is the last time it cost you a relationship? Cost you a promotion? Cost you a vocation?…When is the last time you went without a meal for the sake of the gospel? Can you really say you are carrying your cross if it hasn’t cost you anything?” – NOT A FAN.