October 31, 2016
Just because Jesus healed a man’s hand on the Sabbath, the pharisees and the teachers of the law were so furious and began to discuss what they might do with Jesus. What was Jesus’ crime? healing on a Sabbath.(Luke 6:11). The zeal of the Law, exposed their hearts and drove them to be furious even to plot murder against Jesus. Sometimes we as believers are more concerned about what shouldn’t be doing than about knowing the heart of God and advancing his kingdom. Let’s search our hearts and watch out for attitudes that are not couched in love, mercy and forgiveness.
- Thanks to everyone who attended the Annual Meeting and ‘well done’ to everyone who did a great job moderating, presenting the budget and all the other reports in both the meeting…we have great team!.
- Blessings! for our new elder Stan Achey.
- OCC Packing Party November 12 at 9 AM in fellowship Hall, Party Set-Up, Betsy need help Nov.11 at 8:30. Boxes and containers must travel from her home to MTSCC.
- 7 Member Mission to the Navajo Nation leaving early early Monday, Pray for this group!
‘ The Bible would describe a follower as a “slave”. That is the exact opposite of consumer’ – Not A Fan
October 24, 2016
Most of us define love as an emotion and stop. Paul defined love as a commitment to act with patience, kindness, not envious, not angered, not keeping record of wrong, rejoicing in truth, protecting, trusting, hoping and persevering. It is a commitment to behave in loving ways, feelings of love soon follow. So no Hallmark sentiments- we are talking about the kind of love that demands hard work, sacrifice and vulnerability, that is the kind of love that Jesus modeled. Jesus himself is the definition, description, and originator of love- that is why true love flows out of worship! The more we spend time with Him the more we love- sacrificially and genuinely, the kind of love God delights in!
· This Sunday, October 30th 2016, Annual meetings of both the Community Church and the Congregational Corporation will take place right after church. We will review and vote on the budgets of both organizations, and elect new trustees and officers. ALSO, a potluck lunch will precede the two meetings. This is a quick finger food meal – sandwiches, drinks, veggies trays and dips, and cookies and bars are suggested.
· OCC Packing Party November 12th at 9 am
· First step pregnancy center annual banquet Friday November 18th @6:pm RSVP 802-775-5611
· 7 Member Navajo Mission group leaving October 31st – Building project, encouraging the new believers who came to faith while we were there earlier and whatever the Holy Spirit brings forth- Pray for this team!
· Ongoing events such as Sunday School @ 9am, Men’s Discipleship Groups, Ladies Discipleship Groups are life givers of the church, connect with one or more of them!
Following Jesus literally means you go where Jesus goes, this means making significant life changes- Not a Fan.
October 17. 2016
God’s omniscience is a like a two edged sword. If you are seeking God, its peace at its pinnacle, if you are running away from him its perpetual restlessness. We can never talk about God behind his back. God always knows where to find us; you and I are fully known by God. As the Psalmist asks; “where can I get away from your spirit?” God himself asks in Jeremiah 23:24 “who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” God is present, in the midst of our lives here today, as he ever has been and ever will be. We really don’t have to beg and plead for God to show his presence. We don’t need to worry that he is missing out on our struggles because he is busy solving other people’s problems. As believers, we are called to celebrate his presence in our lives in holy fellowship with him. How do we do this? In aligning our worries and devotions to him we celebrate his presence in our lives. This is what prayer does – it’s a celebration of his omniscience. When we celebrate Christ’s presence, we are changed and our approach to our ‘mountains’ change! We become aware of our belovedness in Christ! Remember, he even took death for you and me!
· Men’s group tonight at 6:30pm
· Ladies Bible Study at 9:30 am
· Curry Dinner- This Thursday, October 20th, 5:30 pm
· Finger Food potluck – Sunday, Oct 30, after worship service.
· Annual Meeting – Sunday, Oct 30, after Finger Food potluck
· OCC – toothpaste, soap, hard candy and toys- also 50 larger shoe boxes needed, contact Betsy.
‘Committed love is best demonstrated through sacrifice’ – Not A Fan
October 10, 2016
That we are all “aliens and strangers” on earth may not come naturally to us, I wish it did. This awareness may be forced on us by circumstances. It may come late in life when you are confronted with the reality of the unfairness of this world and all the garbage we have to encounter. As I mentioned on Sunday, is there any other way we can be God’s people in a Godless society without suffering, without realizing we are strangers and aliens here? So what happens when we approach life from an alien perspective? Then we realize that life in this world is only a vapor when compared to eternity, We realize that it is best for us not to be emotionally attached to anything this world offers. Many believers get frustrated because their needs, wants, expectations and demands are not met in this life because they think themselves not as aliens and strangers but as natives and friends of this world, here for a long, long haul, till the wake up call comes . Hebrews 11, the great chapter of faith, mentions all those faith warriors and the writer says they did not receive the things they were promised but they ‘saw and welcomed them’ from a distance (Hebrews 11:13) Seeing and welcoming God’s promises into our lives from an eternal perspective gives us confidence, power and strength to face the challenges of today.
* New Mexico Short Term Mission – October 31st- November 4th. This seven member mission team will focus on getting Darlene’s house ready for winter, reconnecting and encouraging the new converts and the Solid Rock Church and anything else the Holy Spirit leads us to. The following people have committed to go . Russell Merrill, Brent Merrill, Stan Achey, Steven Maurer, Nate Hewitt, Rick Lawrence and me. Please continue to pray for this group for God’s protection and his Glory to be revealed throughout this trip. Our church is a generous Church! Thank you for your support of this trip!
* Curry Dinner October 20th… special musical treat! ‘water within’- a musical Christian trio from Liberty University will be there’
* 40 days of life – Peaceful vigil and prayer outside planned Parenthood- call Delia Warnecke 802-287-0354
*First Step pregnancy Center annual banquet, Friday, November 18th at 6pm in the Franklin Conference Center in Rutland. RSVP 802-775-5611
*OCC Collections, also 50 large shoe boxed needed.
* Continue to Pray, Pray and Pray for needs the spirit lays in our heart.
Fans try to follow Jesus from their own strength, Followers just follow, empowered by the Holy Spirit– Not A Fan
October 3, 2016
If there is one bible character tailor made for Hollywood, it would be Samson. His story contains all the spills and thrills of an action movie. He was conceived miraculously by the edict of the angel of the Lord; and was moved by the Spirit of the Lord; and often the Spirit of the Lord came upon him. Judges 16:19 says ‘Delilah lulled Samson to sleep with his head in her lap’ and the rest was history. Samson allowed his hair to be cut because he placed his head in the lap of his enemy. Our lives should be lived in such a way that we do not find ourselves in similar circumstances where there is moral compromise. No one is immune to sin, all is failure apart from Holiness. Detachment from morally gray areas and finding our belongingness in Jesus becomes a prerequisite of Holiness. This is a conscious and continuing process, we cannot shift our spiritual engines to Neutral. They always have to be on Drive attached to the Power that moves us forward. 1 Cor 16:13 says ‘ Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong’.
· Men’s group ‘Not a Fan’ today @ 6:30- 8:30pm a very interesting and challenging study
· Ladies Bible Study starting October 4th at Barbara Severy’s home, 9:30am.
· OCC Collection Items toothpaste, soap, hard candy & toys.
· Let’s continue to pray for all the mentioned prayer request!
‘Dying to self mean that next time you’re talking with your neighbor, instead of playing it safe and keeping comfortable you bring Jesus into the conversation’ Not A Fan